Dear New Families,
Welcome to Memorial Drive Elementary (MDE)! As we begin MDE’s 70th school year, we can be proud of our school’s rich history as we look toward an excellent future for our children. This includes the leadership of our new principal, Dr. Kathleen Jeremiassen, who we are honored to welcome to MDE.
Nestled in the heart of the Memorial Villages, MDE has over 450 students taught by the finest teachers Spring Branch Independent School District has to offer. At MDE we pride ourselves on academic excellence and a strong sense of school community. We are happy that you’re here and hope you find your time at MDE to be rewarding and fun.
Because we know how overwhelming the first year can be, below is information to help guide you through all there is to know about MDE. We have included everything from how to join the PTA to ordering ‘pony gear’ to social events that can’t be missed.
Again, welcome to our beloved school and we wish you and your family all the best on your new and exciting journey here at MDE!
New Family Checklist:
- Register for the School Directory (this will enable you to receive PTA e-mails and other information)
- Join the MDE PTA
- Buy MDE pony gear
- Sign up for cafeteria account
- Sign up to be an SBISD Volunteer – required by the district to attend any school related functions
- Sign up for Volunteer Opportunities
- Attend “Meet the Teacher” event held just prior to school
- Come to the Parent Coffee held in the school cafeteria on the first day of school, August 16th at 8:00 am
- Attend a PTA meeting (check the calendar on this website, usually held the 2nd Wednesday of the month, 8:15 am in room 406)
- Participate in school activities and PTA fundraisers
The PTA offers parents the opportunity to purchase pre-packaged school supplies for each grade. Taking advantage of the packages can save you time and frustration. All packages purchased through the PTA are available at ‘Meet The Teacher’ Day before the first day of school. Packages are available for sale on the MDE PTA online store May – June and must be paid for by credit card. If you would prefer to purchase your own supplies, the list of needs per grade can be accessed by clicking here.
MDE Pony Gear
The PTA has made it possible for families to show off their love and loyalty to MDE by creating a variety of MDE themed items. From t-shirts to car stickers, there are endless possibilities for you to proudly show your spirit. See the PTA store for a complete list of all items for sale. If possible, we recommend you order your items via the PTA store, as supplies are limited. You will also have an opportunity to purchase spirit gear in the school cafeteria on the first day of school. Remaining spirit gear will be available for purchase throughout the year by contacting our Spirit Gear Chair.
School Lunch Prepaid meal accounts help the lunch lines go faster and gives students more time to eat and relax. A student ID number will be assigned to your child and sent home on the first day of school. This ID number will be used to access your child’s lunch account. If you know your child will buy lunch regularly, we recommend starting the account with $50.00. Once the account is low, a note will be sent home with your child or you will receive a notice by phone or email.
These are the following ways to fund your child’s lunch account:
- Deposit funds online at by clicking here to the School Cafe website.
- Stop by the cafeteria and pay the cafeteria manager directly with cash or check.
- Send cash or check with your student by placing it in a sealed envelope clearly marked “Cafeteria Account”. Please be sure to include your child’s first and last name, student ID # and teacher’s name.
Parents and grandparents are encouraged to have lunch with their child from time to time. You are welcome to purchase a school lunch or surprise your child with his/her favorite food. Please be aware that lunch visitors are not allowed until after the first 6 weeks of school. No visitors for any grade are permitted during district testing. These dates will be sent to you via email.
Each year the PTA offers 3 versions of the school directory: a large size book (8 1/2″ x 6″), a small size book (6″x 4″ for your car or purse), and an app for your smartphone. The school directory includes important information such as contact information for all teachers/administrators/specialists, an alphabetical listing of students/families with addresses and phone numbers, and a monthly school and PTA schedule. For the 2018-2019 school year only, a large directory will be provided free to all members of the PTA. Additional copies will be for sale in the online school store until mid-September 2018. The hard-copy directories are scheduled for delivery in October/November; however, the digital copy will be available on the PTA website in late September. Families registering after the first of the year can contact our Directory Chair for remaining copies available for purchase.
In order for your family to be included in the directory – you must enter your information in our directory system here: Directory System
There are 3 options on how you can pick your child up from school. Teachers ask that you send a note to school each day for the first week of school on how your child will get home. You may want to try out each method the first week of school and see which one works best for you. The school recommends that you be as consistent as possible with your after-school pick-up method after the first week. Should you need to change your child’s usual method of pick-up, you are required send a note to your child’s teacher. Please be sure to include what the change is, the date of the change and when your child will resume his/her regular route home. In the event of an emergency, you must contact Mrs. Harkey.
Click here to learn the SBISD bus route for your student(s). For all Pre-K and Kindergarten students, a blue sign with your child’s name will be sent home the first week of school. This sign must be shown to the bus driver by anyone meeting your child at the bus stop.
Outside / Front Deck
Parents will meet their child in person outside the front of the school. During inclement weather, students will be waiting in the cafeteria. Pick-up for Pre-k and Kindergarten begins at 2:50 pm.
Parents who wish to remain in their vehicles will use the drive located on the left side of the school (Parent Drive) to drive through and pick up their child. A sign with your child’s last name and grade will be sent home with your child the first week of school. This should be posted in your windshield when picking your child up.
The school also offers after school options through a program called iKids. Click Here for more information or to sign up for those opportunities. Another after school program you might be interested in is The Girl and Boy Scouts of America. Depending on your child’s age, there are Daisies, Brownies and Girl Scouts for girls and Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts for boys.
Spring Branch Memorial Sports Association (SBMSA) www.sbmsa.org,
Chapelwood United Methodist Church www.chapelwood.org
One of the best things about MDE is there are many ways to get involved. New parents are encouraged to participate regardless of how much time you have to commit. Volunteering is the best way to get to know MDE, its students and families.
All volunteers are required fill out a registration form with the district before being allowed to volunteer on campus. THIS MUST BE DONE EVERY SCHOOL YEAR. This can be done online via the district website HERE. When you arrive at the school to volunteer, you will go to Mrs. Harkey’s office so she can print a “Visitor” or “Volunteer” badge for you and log your visit into the school system.
In the Classroom
- Parent Reader – All parents are encouraged to read to their child’s class. Your child’s teacher will have a sign up sheet available at the Open House held at the beginning of the year. There are several dates throughout the year to choose from to find one that works best with your schedule. Should you join MDE after school has started, contact your child’s respective teacher for available dates.
- Classroom Parent – Each class has two “room parents” who coordinate and plan the Winter and Valentine’s parties held in the classroom. They are always looking for parents to donate supplies or volunteer their time to help out at the parties. All correspondence for the parties is conducted via email so make sure your address is on file with your child’s teacher. For information on becoming a room mom, contact the room mom coordinator, Jo Swan at: [email protected].
- Field Trips – Chaperoning school sponsored field trips is another great way to be involved. Your child’s teacher will send out an email prior to the field trip providing the details, including how many chaperones will be needed.
Around the School
- Office & Library – Help is always needed in the office with photocopying materials for teachers or general assistance. Please contact Julie Shuford to volunteer at the office. The library needs help too! Whether it’s reading to your child’s class, helping students check out books or re-shelving books, your help is always appreciated. You can sign up for a library shift at the Parent Coffee the first day of school. You are also welcome to just help whenever you are available. Feel free to contact our librarian, Ms Veenhuyzen at: (713) 251-6327 with any questions you might have.
With the PTA
- Each year the PTA hosts a Parent Coffee on the first day of school where each committee posts sign-up sheets for events and functions that need help throughout the year. Committee representatives are present to provide details and answer questions. Whether it’s working a booth at the Fall Festival in October, volunteering to help with the MDE Auction, stringing balloons for Field Day at year-end, or helping out with Teacher Appreciation lunches in between, there are plenty of places for you to jump in and help out.
- If you are unable to attend the Parent Coffee or register mid-year, please feel free to contact the chairperson of any committee you are interested in being a part of. Click here to view the full roster of PTA committees and their chairpersons is located on this website.
- 2018-19 PTA President, Hollie West, is happy to answer questions and help you find a committee that is just right for you. Her email is: [email protected]. For more information on the MDE PTA, click here.
- Fellow parents are also a great way to gain insight on PTA work and its committees. We are always happy to answers questions that might help point you in the right direction.
Because of the outstanding job our PTA does in raising money each year, we are able to compensate for diminishing state funds and our children continue to receive an excellent education here at MDE. The PTA has a variety of fundraisers that support this budget. The biggest MDE PTA fundraisers are:
- Annual Fund Campaign: In the fall, the PTA runs its Annual Fund Campaign. Our goal is 100% participation, and any gift, no matter the size, is appreciated. Please look for the Annual Fund handout which will be sent home with your child in the beginning of the year. This campaign typically runs through October but donations are accepted and welcomed throughout the year. Additional information on the Annual Fund will also be available in the PTA-sponsored E-News and the MDE PTA Website.
- Auction: This event is tons of fun for parents and teachers, and it is also the PTA’s largest fundraiser for the year. There are countless ways to contribute including donating auction items, volunteering your time or purchasing auction items. Notices for individual ticket and table sales will go out via the PTA E-News. For more information on how to help with the auction you can contact our auction chair at: [email protected]